Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Modesty

Hello friend,
Do you want to please God? Do you want to stand out from the world? Do you want someone to see you and be able to tell that you are a Christian? The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 6:14 “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? To me, there is one obvious thing that makes a Christian stand out from the heathen, and that is modesty. In this fallen world that we live in today, people have completely abandoned the concern for being modest. Unfortunately, many of these people are so called Christians, and this truly saddens me. As Christians, we are to stand out from the world, and this shows that these people clearly do not know the scriptures. Are they reading their Bible? Are you reading your Bible?? 


1 Timothy 2:9 says “… Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire.” You can’t wear skimpy clothing, or lots of jewelry, and hope to get respect. If you are dressing immodestly, you will most likely not be respected. Are you worried about not being attractive because you are dressing modestly? The right kind of person will be interested in you because of what is on the inside. If you want the right kind of person to find you, you must dress modestly. This applies to both men and woman. 

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 tells us “… Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”  How would you feel if God came today, and you had tattoos, or you were wearing earrings and necklaces, or yoga pants, or loud clothing? I know that I would feel ashamed. In Leviticus 19:28 it says “You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves...” 

People have asked me why I wear a dress shirt and pants everywhere I go, (as if it is not cool or it's out of style) I do not desire to be “cool,” and I thank God that I don’t. Someday I will have a wife, and I will not be attracted to her because she dresses skimpy, or because she has jewelry, or because she has a new perm. It will be because she desires to please God by respecting herself. I pray that God can help you and I both, to remember to focus on what is truly important, taking care of ourselves to please God.


In Christ,
Noah Brewster
 

No comments:

Post a Comment